Tom Steyer to Host Need to Impeach Summit and Advocacy Day in D.C. as Calls for Trump’s Removal Grow Nationwide
About 300 Participants to Hand Deliver Articles of Impeachment to Members of Congress
(SAN FRANCISCO, January 22, 2019)—Need to Impeach Founder Tom Steyer is bringing the call for Congress to immediately begin impeachment proceedings to Washington, D.C. where he will host a two-day summit Jan. 28-29 to provide about 300 participants with the tools they need to pressure their representatives to remove Donald Trump from power.
The Need to Impeach Summit and Advocacy Day comes amid increasing calls across party lines — growing from 48 percent last summer to 60 percent this month — for Congress to hold Trump accountable for his attacks on our democracy and disregard for the rule of law. The event includes a daylong strategy session to grow the grassroots army, a town hall about the state of the union under Trump, and concludes with participants hand delivering Articles of Impeachment, drafted by summit co-sponsors Free Speech For People, to their representatives with the message: “protect our country and impeach Donald Trump.”
“Donald Trump is our nation’s crisis, and it will only get worse the longer he stays in office,” said Steyer, whose group includes more than 7 million supporters nationwide. “Leaders across party lines are finally understanding the danger his recklessness and lawlessness pose for our democracy, and now they must hold him accountable. Failing to act is unacceptable. Our movement represents millions of people across the country who are demanding that Congress start impeachment hearings immediately, and it’s time for elected officials to follow the will of the people.”
Said President of Free Speech For People John Bonifaz: “President Trump is a direct and serious threat to our country. On an almost daily basis, he attacks our Constitution, our democracy, and the rule of law. His conduct has created a constitutional crisis which we must confront now. Our message is clear: Members of Congress, uphold your oath and start impeachment proceedings today against this president.”
At the event, participants will:
- Hear from former Congresswoman Elizabeth Holtzman, who was a member of the House Judiciary Committee that recommended three Articles of Impeachment against former President Richard Nixon in 1974;
- Learn about the impeachment process and the 10 legal grounds for impeachment proceedings against Trump, including imprisoning children in internment camps and obstruction of justice by firing and threatening to fire senior Justice Department officials and other actions to interfere with the Russia investigation;
- Develop grassroots organizing skills to take the messages back into their communities to continue building support for impeachment;
- Attend a Need to Impeach Town Hall about the state of the union under Trump and his administration;
- Fan out across Capitol Hill hand delivering the Articles of Impeachment, which highlight the 10 legal grounds for impeachment proceedings, to their members of Congress.
Earlier this month, Steyer committed $40 million in 2019 toward impeaching Trump, which includes a comprehensive public education initiative, town halls across the country, and mobilizing millions of new supporters to continue pushing their representatives to support impeachment. These efforts will have an emphasis on supporters in House districts held by Reps. Adam Schiff, Maxine Waters, Richard Neal, Jerrold Nadler, and Elijah Cummings, who chair key committees responsible for oversight and investigations into Mr. Trump’s corrupt activities, and in states with Republican Senators up for re-election in 2020.
Steyer launched Need to Impeach on October 20, 2017, with an initial $40 million investment to raise the voices of people across the country who were angered by Trump’s presidency and policies. Within the first week, the group grew to more than 1 million supporters. Need to Impeach now has more than 7 million supporters and is growing by up to 30,000 people each day.
# # #