Tom Steyer’s Need to Impeach Petition Campaign Surpasses 6 Million Supporters
In less than a year, Steyer has built the largest politically motivated group of Americans ahead of the midterm elections
(SAN FRANCISCO, October 11, 2018)—The Need to Impeach movement founded by Tom Steyer last year calling for Donald Trump’s impeachment has reached 6 million supporters—a milestone that makes it one of the largest and fastest-growing groups of its kind in the country.
Need to Impeach is now turning the movement—launched less than a year ago and already considered a major player in Democratic politics—into a massive voter bloc, engaging supporters who vote infrequently during midterm elections and mobilizing them to turn out on November 6.
“Six million Need to Impeach supporters have signed on to send Donald Trump and the D.C. Establishment a message: No one is above the law, and we will not go away until our voices are heard,” said Steyer. “We have, on average, 15,000 supporters in congressional districts across the country who we are mobilizing—enough to shift the political landscape by bringing victories to those seats. If we can flip the House, it will be a gigantic step in our work to remove Trump from office.”
Need to Impeach Lead Strategist Kevin Mack added: “By any measure, we have grown from a petition that started with one man into a national movement of 6 million concerned Americans. We are raising our voices together and engaging at unprecedented levels to fight for our Democracy. To Donald Trump and his enablers in Congress, we will see you on November 6th.”
Need to Impeach at 1 Year:
- At 6 million supporters, Need to Impeach has more members than the National Rifle Association.
- Political strategists say Need to Impeach is one of the most powerful groups in Democratic politics.
- Steyer’s message resonates with more than just Democrats: One in 5 Need to Impeach list signers—19.5%—are either moderates or strong Republicans.
- Need to Impeach launched its get-out-the-vote initiative—Need to Vote—in August 2018 with a $10 million investment from Steyer to hire a team of organizers who are working to mobilize impeachment supporters to turnout to vote on Nov. 6. This initiative includes addressable TV ads in targeted regions through Election Day, a voter-to-voter notecard writing campaign, organizing house parties, and Steyer hosting events across the country.
- Need to Impeach is operating the largest member-to-member campaign in political history, with 73,227 supporters handwriting more than 1.4 million notecards to infrequent voters asking them to vote.
Steyer launched the Need to Impeach campaign on October 20, 2017, through national television and social media ads. More than 6 million people signed on to support the campaign in its first year, creating a digital army that several political strategists call one of the most powerful political tools in the Democratic party. So far, 15 national commercials—including two in Spanish—have aired, reaching more than two billion television viewers and more than 454 million people through social media.