Tom Steyer’s Need to Impeach Campaign Marks First Anniversary with Town Hall in Newark, New Jersey
With 17 days before November 6, Steyer will rally and mobilize supporters in the New York City area to engage voters and help Democrats win Congress
(NEWARK, NJ, October 16, 2018)—Tom Steyer is marking the first anniversary of the Need to Impeach campaign by hosting a town hall in Newark, NJ on Saturday, October 20—a year to the day since launching the fast-growing campaign to remove Donald Trump from power.
Need to Impeach, which reached 6 million supporters last week, has evolved into a major political player since its launch, with strategists calling it one of the most powerful political groups in Democratic politics. Steyer is now mobilizing impeachment supporters — roughly 15,000 per congressional district, 64 percent of whom are infrequent midterm voters — to flip the House on Election Day and further the push for Trump’s impeachment.
“Americans are under daily attack from the Republican Establishment,” said Steyer. “We can no longer sit by and watch the assaults on our communities and on our values, whether it’s internment camps for children, targeting our Muslim brothers and sisters, or lifting up a man accused of sexually assaulting several women to the nation’s highest court. Millions of patriots across the country have joined us to say ‘we have had enough.’ There is power in numbers and our supporters are committed to bringing the change we need on Election Day. We are determined to put an end to Trump’s reign of ignorance and corruption.”
Need to Impeach at 1 Year:
- At 6 million supporters, Need to Impeach is one of the fast-growing political groups of its kind.
- Need to Impeach now has far more supporters than the National Rifle Association, which took nearly 150 years to reach 5 million members.
- Political strategists say Need to Impeach is one of the most powerful groups in Democratic politics.
- Nearly 78 percent of Democrats across the country support the call for impeachment.
- Steyer’s message resonates with more than just Democrats: One in 5 Need to Impeach list signers—19.5%—are either moderates or strong Republicans.
- Need to Impeach launched its get-out-the-vote initiative—Need to Vote—in August 2018 with a $10 million investment from Steyer to hire a team of organizers who are working to mobilize impeachment supporters to turn out to vote on Nov. 6. This initiative includes addressable TV ads in targeted regions through Election Day, a voter-to-voter note card writing campaign, organizing house parties, and Steyer hosting events across the country.
- Need to Impeach is operating the largest member-to-member campaign in political history, with 75,000 supporters handwriting more than 1.4 million notecards to infrequent voters asking them to vote.
Steyer has hosted over 30 town halls across the country, including in places like New York City; Philadelphia; Columbus, Ohio; Cincinnati; Washington, D.C., Largo, Md.; Arlington, Va; Oakland, Calif.; Sacramento, Calif.; Atlanta; Orlando, Fla.; Des Moines, Iowa; Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Denver, Colo.; Charlotte, N.C.; Columbia, S.C.; Minneapolis; Seattle; Omaha, Neb.; Salt Lake City; Boston; Concord, N.H.; San Antonio; Tulsa, Okla.; Nashville; Manchester, N.H.; Santa Clarita, Calif; Tampa, Fla.; Las Vegas; and Orange County, Calif.
Steyer launched the Need to Impeach campaign on October 20, 2017, through national television and social media ads. More than six million people signed on to support the campaign in its first year, creating a digital army that several political strategists call one of the most powerful political tools in the Democratic party. So far, 15 national commercials—including two in Spanish—have aired, reaching more than two billion television viewers and more than 454 million people through social media.
For media interested in attending the Newark town hall or interviewing Tom Steyer about Need to Impeach’s one-year anniversary, contact Need to Impeach Head of Communications Erik Olvera at Erik.Olvera@NeedtoImpeach.com, (415) 805-8418.