Thanks for writing to Congress with us! Here’s some more information you’ll need to complete your postcards.
Why are we contacting these members specifically?
The Judiciary Committee, chaired by Rep. Jerrold Nadler, decides whether to pursue articles of impeachment against an accused official before bringing those articles to the full House. They’re the gatekeepers who can kickstart the impeachment process.
The other representatives are powerful leaders in the House or chair committees that can impact impeachment:
- Rep. Elijah Cummings chairs the Oversight and Reforms Committee, which holds investigative powers and can order depositions under oath.
- Rep. Adam Schiff chairs the Intelligence Committee. He has publicly stated his plans to investigate Trump’s finances and ties to Russia.
- Rep. Richard Neal chairs the Ways and Means Committee, which has the power to subpoena Donald Trump’s tax returns. Neal and his committee could expose problematic conflicts of interest, and boost public support for impeachment.
- Rep. Steny Hoyer is the House Majority Leader.
- Rep. Cheri Bustos is the chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.
- Rep. James Clyburn is the House Majority Whip.
Stumped on what to write? Feel free to borrow from this sample language.
To House leadership and the Judiciary Committee:
- Dear _____, I’m writing to you today because I believe Donald Trump is unfit for office, and I urge you to begin the process of impeachment. I’m counting on you to use your influence in the House to lead the effort to impeach, and act as a check on Trump’s reckless governance. Every day he’s allowed to return to the Oval Office puts our country at risk — he needs to be impeached, immediately. Sincerely, ____
- Dear ______, Donald Trump has long passed the threshold for impeachment. 10 impeachable offenses later, he’s still sitting in the White House, wreaking havoc on our rule of law. We elected our representatives to Congress to provide oversight, and to act as a check our lawless president. I’m counting on you to use your position as one of the most powerful leaders in the House to move the impeachment process forward. Sincerely, ______
To your senators:
- Dear Senator _______, Declaring a “fake national emergency” to get money for his border wall is just the latest example of the President’s gross incompetence and complete disregard for the rule of law. He has a history of business dealings with criminals, and won’t come clean about the scope of his relationship with Vladimir Putin. He routinely hurls xenophobic rhetoric at families coming to this country to seek asylum, and has no real solution to solve the humanitarian crisis at our border. I’m counting on you to support impeachment hearings, and to do everything in your power to make sure Trump is held accountable.
Once you’ve written what you want to say, use these online tools to find out where to mail your representative and senators.
Plug in your zip code and find your representatives here 👉 https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
Find your senators’ address here 👉 https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact