Trump’s threats against freedom of the press are also threats against American democracy.
- President Trump has repeatedly attacked the concept of an independent press.
- He’s called critical coverage “fake news” and journalists “the enemy of the American people,” made threats to change libel laws and revoke licenses, and his battles with CNN led him to try to interfere in the AT&T/Time Warner merger.
- His Administration has repeatedly and baselessly revoked press credentials for critical coverage.
- He has dismissed the murder of a critical journalist, citing the economic partnership the US has with the offending nation.
- This demonstrates his unwillingness to respect and uphold the Constitution, and disdain for the crucial foundations to our free society.